- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp each mustard powder and smoked paprika
- 1½ -2kg/3lb 5oz-4lb 8oz) pork shoulder, boned with rind attached and tied (ask your butcher to do this)
- 140g tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 2 French stick, sliced into rolls, and coleslaw, to serve
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Scatter the onions and bay leaves in the bottom of a large roasting tin. Mix the mustard powder, paprika and 1 tsp ground black pepper with a good pinch of salt. Rub this all over the pork, making sure you rub it into all the crevices. Place the pork, rind-side up, on top of the onions. Pour 200ml water into the bottom of the tin, wrap well with foil and bake for 4 hrs. This can be done up to 2 days ahead – simply cover the tray in foil and chill until ready to barbecue.
- Light the barbecue. In a bowl, mix the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Remove the pork from the tin and pat dry. Place the roasting tin on the hob, pour in the ketchup mixture and bubble vigorously for 10-15 mins until thick and glossy. Remove the bay leaves and pour the sauce into a food processor; blitz until smooth. Smear half the sauce mixture over the meat.
- Once the barbecue flames have died down, put on the pork, skin-side down. Cook for 15 mins until nicely charred, then flip over and cook for another 10 mins. The meat will be very tender, so be careful not to lose any between the bars. Alternatively, heat a combined oven-grill to high, place the pork on a baking tray and cook each side for 10-15 mins until nicely charred.
- Lift the pork onto a large plate or tray. Remove string and peel off the skin. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into chunky pieces. Add 3-4 tbsp of the barbecue sauce to the meat and toss everything well to coat. Pile into rolls and serve with extra sauce and a little coleslaw.
We are pleased to announce that we are moving our business to Augher Business Park over the coming days. We are mov… https://t.co/muDHidQvC5Follow
New Gourmet Grub Fresh Chicken Range will be available from 27th April. Our website will go live on 24th April to c… https://t.co/3cdzQLscz3Follow
Our Plain Allergen Free Crumb is on route to Brisbane Australia. We are so excited to have our first export to the… https://t.co/OsKW3NEyhxFollow
Have a Great Easter from the Team at Butchery Excellence! Support your local butcher this bank holiday and try the… https://t.co/CWTi8HrFLiFollow