- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp each mustard powder and smoked paprika
- 1½ -2kg/3lb 5oz-4lb 8oz) pork shoulder, boned with rind attached and tied (ask your butcher to do this)
- 140g tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 2 French stick, sliced into rolls, and coleslaw, to serve
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Scatter the onions and bay leaves in the bottom of a large roasting tin. Mix the mustard powder, paprika and 1 tsp ground black pepper with a good pinch of salt. Rub this all over the pork, making sure you rub it into all the crevices. Place the pork, rind-side up, on top of the onions. Pour 200ml water into the bottom of the tin, wrap well with foil and bake for 4 hrs. This can be done up to 2 days ahead – simply cover the tray in foil and chill until ready to barbecue.
- Light the barbecue. In a bowl, mix the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Remove the pork from the tin and pat dry. Place the roasting tin on the hob, pour in the ketchup mixture and bubble vigorously for 10-15 mins until thick and glossy. Remove the bay leaves and pour the sauce into a food processor; blitz until smooth. Smear half the sauce mixture over the meat.
- Once the barbecue flames have died down, put on the pork, skin-side down. Cook for 15 mins until nicely charred, then flip over and cook for another 10 mins. The meat will be very tender, so be careful not to lose any between the bars. Alternatively, heat a combined oven-grill to high, place the pork on a baking tray and cook each side for 10-15 mins until nicely charred.
- Lift the pork onto a large plate or tray. Remove string and peel off the skin. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into chunky pieces. Add 3-4 tbsp of the barbecue sauce to the meat and toss everything well to coat. Pile into rolls and serve with extra sauce and a little coleslaw.
Join us for a Christmas Party Gala and Getting-to-know-you Night on the 30th November at The Four Season’s Monaghan… https://t.co/WD2WZiIOUKFollow
The All Ireland Fine Food & Butchery Awards are now open for Entry! Download your entry form today via the link be… https://t.co/ViJEJzcSl4Follow
Cutting Edge Issue 17 - Our Members Only Monthly Magazine is out now! Check out pages 16-19 for a feature on all t… https://t.co/FbqWojBhvJFollow
Congratulations to Kennedy Bacon on achieving SALSA certification for another year. Another MFC success for this mo… https://t.co/SC1hcniHPYFollow
Congratulations to EWS Donegal on winning Irish Independent Retailer 2019. We are delighted for Keith, Liam. Edmund… https://t.co/QXiMTfNJO0Follow