- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Lightly grease a large roasting tray.
- Peel and coarsely grate the potato, then add to a bowl with the minced pork and beef. Scrunch and mix together, then use wet hands to roll the mixture into balls, slightly larger than a golf ball – you should end up with 21 altogether.
- Reserving 3 to one side, place the meatballs into the prepared roasting tray, then set aside.
- To make the gravy, peel and finely chop the onions, trim and finely chop the fennel, then add to a large pan over a medium heat with a good splash of oil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the 3 reserved meatballs, breaking them up in the pan, then cook for a further 10 minutes over a high heat, or until dark golden.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add the Porter and leave to boil and bubble away.
- Pour in the stock and stir in the remaining ingredients, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until thickened and glossy.
- Season the meatballs with sea salt and black pepper, then place in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven and place over a medium heat on the hob. Pour over the gravy, add the rosemary sprigs and simmer for a few minutes.
- Warm the rolls in the cooling oven.
- Stir the vinegar into the gravy, grate over the cheese and remove from the heat.
- Slice the rolls and open them out like a book, spoon in the cheesy meatballs and gravy (discard the rosemary sprigs), top with watercress, then serve with any leftover gravy for dunking.
- olive oil
- 1 small potato
- 500 g higher-welfare minced shoulder of pork
- 500 g quality minced beef
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 6 submarine rolls
- 1 splash of red wine vinegar
- 100 g Red Leicester cheese
- 50 g watercress
- 2 red onions
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- 1 splash of porter
- 1 litre organic chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon HP sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tablespoon Geeta’s mango chutney
New Gourmet Grub Fresh Chicken Range will be available from 27th April. Our website will go live on 24th April to c… https://t.co/3cdzQLscz3Follow
Our Plain Allergen Free Crumb is on route to Brisbane Australia. We are so excited to have our first export to the… https://t.co/OsKW3NEyhxFollow
Have a Great Easter from the Team at Butchery Excellence! Support your local butcher this bank holiday and try the… https://t.co/CWTi8HrFLiFollow
Sunday Lunch is one of the most important meals of the week, it is when we get a chance to sit down with our loved… https://t.co/nXCzMAOITfFollow
Support your local butcher, join us for Chinese fakeaway night. You can make your own Chinese meals, you don’t need… https://t.co/VqsHnJONtQFollow