Meatballs are always popular and these are served with toasted pine nuts and vibrant kale, making a vitamin C-rich dish that’s 2 of your 5-a-day
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- 500g pork mince
- 2 tsp fennel seeds 250g kale
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- crusty bread or mashed potato, to serve (optional)
- In a medium pan, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 mins. Tip in the tomatoes with a splash of water, increase the heat and allow to bubble for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lemon zest, mince, fennel seeds and a good pinch of seasoning. Mix well, then shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Heat the remaining oil in a lidded frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs and brown for 5 mins, then pour the tomato sauce into the pan. Simmer for 10 mins, then add the kale, cover with a lid and cook for 5 mins more until wilted. Season to taste, and scatter over the pine nuts. Serve with the lemon wedges, for squeezing over, and crusty bread or mash, if you like.
A massive Thank-you to our sponsors this year at Meat 2 Trade 2019. If it is not for your support these events just… https://t.co/if4BGK6A2XFollow
I am proud to be representing our country on Team ireland 2019/2020. Looking soooo forward to Captains Run in Sacr… https://t.co/f1RnKoAM2PFollow