Leftover Chicken with Tomatos and Crispy Chorizo
This is a great way to use up chicken you’ve been poaching for a stock (see Fresh Tomato Broth). Otherwise, use any leftover chicken you have and scale down the other ingredients accordingly.
- Blacken the peppers over a gas flame or under the grill, then place in a bowl and cover with clingfilm to steam. After 15 minutes, they should be really easy to peel, so peel off and discard the skin.
- Peel and finely slice the onion and garlic, then, roughly chop the tomatoes. Halve, deseed and finely slice the chilli, then pick and finely chop the oregano leaves.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic, tomatoes, paprika, chilli and most of the oregano. Cook for around 5 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Pull the chicken off the bones in chunky pieces, discarding the bones and skin. Add the chicken to the pan with the stock.
- Tear the peppers into chunky strips, add to the pan and stir well. Leave to bubble away for 25 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced and is thick and glossy.
- Place the fennel seeds into a pestle and mortar and bash until crushed.
- Place a second frying pan over a high heat. Slice open the skins of the chorizo sausages. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and squeeze in the meat from the sausages, then add the crushed fennel seeds.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until dark golden, crisp and smelling fantastic, using a wooden spoon to break up the chorizo, stirring occasionally.
- Add a good lug of extra virgin olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper to the chicken.
- Take the pan straight to the table, dollop over the crème fraîche, drizzle with the balsamic and scatter with the crisp chorizo and reserved oregano. Delicious served with warm flatbreads or tortillas, or as a topping for jacket potatoes.
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 kg ripe mixed-colour tomatoes
- 1 fresh red chilli
- a few sprigs of fresh oregano
- olive oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 kg free-range poached chicken
- 200 ml organic chicken stock
- 2 fresh quality chorizo sausages (roughly 250g)
- 1 heaped teaspoon crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUTCHER As all of us are on lockdown at the moment, it is giving us time to get back to the basi… https://t.co/noO3OOaKxYFollow
BEI ANNOUNCEMENT Now that social distancing is working well in your stores, now it is time to do the same with you… https://t.co/affkCs9nLRFollow
Happy Mother’s Day to all the mammys, granny’s & nanny’s. A very special day to spend with loved ones. This year ju… https://t.co/gWVM5LjORRFollow
JOIN US IN OUR CAMPAIGN TO STOP THE SPREAD OF COVID -19 AMONGST OUR COMMUNITY. Our members have taken extreme measu… https://t.co/RzVaTOM0Z8Follow